Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation, Is It Right For Me?
Woman today have two options for breast augmentation, not only breast implants but transfer of their own fat to the breasts. While this sounds ideal, taking unwanted fat from an area of the body and using it to enhance the breasts, there are pros and cons.
What are the advantages of fat transfer to the breast? There are several
- There can’t be an allergic reaction.
- The scars on the breasts are minimal.
- Some breast implant issues such as rippling or breast thinning over time, especially with large implants, can be avoided.
- There is the simultaneous benefit of body contouring liposuction to harvest the fat.
So, this sounds too good to be true, what are the cons of fat transfer to the breasts?
- There is a risk of calcifications from the injections that could interfere with breast cancer screening and possibly indicating a need for a biopsy.
- Fat injections lead to the possibility of lumps or nodules in the breasts or indentation and irregularities in the area where fat is harvested, especially in inexperienced hands.
- Breast fat injections have not been able to achieve the same volume and often same shape that many women can accomplish with breast implants because there are limitations to the amount of fat that can be injected. Therefore, it usually takes more than one surgery with fat alone.
- Having more than one surgery for fat grafting along with harvesting the fat with liposuction can lead to significantly more cost than implants alone.
Why should a woman consider both implants and fat injections?
- Fat injections to the breasts is gaining popularity as an effective tool for shaping when performed with implants.
- Even with proper placement of breast implants, some patients may feel there is too much space between the implants. They may want more cleavage or fullness above.
- Fat injections can be a nice enhancement either at the time of placing the implants or even later
How can patients learn more about all their options?
- Dr. Hubbard is happy to thoroughly discuss these options with his patients to meet their individual goals and needs.
- Included in the discussion is the option for saline and gel implants and the possibility of a breast lift since neither fat injections nor breast implants can lift the breasts.
- Dr. Hubbard and his staff use Vectra 3D imaging to help women imagine the possibilities